Minecraft servers down for now, doing upgrade


The minecraft servers are down for the next day or so whilst I migrate from a slower machine to a faster one, and go from Fedora Server to RHEL Atomic.

Will post an update here, the G+ group, and update the MC server pages at each location with the needed info for connecting.

And yes, for now still going to be whitelisted.

Removing F20 Repo


As I see nobody is tapping into my repo anymore, I am killing off my F20 repo.  Those that have access, will continue to access it if they wish, but I am removing instructions for access, and this is fair warning that I am officially abandoning the repo.  All future work on packages will be EL6/7 based.

Working on new EL7 RPMs again.


As it has been a little while, I am back in the game rolling and re-rolling up RPMs for EL7 again.  The big one that I am working on is getting the razercfg package functional.   I have added a number of new rpms that primarily were needed to compile razercfg successfully.  There are alot of hurdles here, but I should eventually get this completed.

The first is the broken install script.  I have a few ways of getting around this, so this shouldn’t be a major issue.

Second issue, is the PySide portion being broken.  This occurs on OpenSUSE 13.2 as well, and renders the QT GUI worthless, as it barfs out with PySide errors.  Hopefully I will not have to patch up or rewrite anything there, as I am a hideous coder, and not familiar at all with QT or these Python3 bindings.  And to be honest, I think the problem lies with how RHEL7 and OpenSUSE 13.2 handle Python3.

Wish me luck!  Once I get the srpm built it should be trivial to get this into the hands of the OpenSUSE packagers to clean up and get onto OpenSUSE.  Hopefully I can get this taken care of in a reasonable timeframe :P

LibreOffice on RHEL 7.1


LibreOffice is my go-to office tool, and it is not in the standard yum repos. But, all hope is not lost, Red Hat does indeed distribute this. Goto your subscription manager and edit the repos you are subscribed to add in the “optional-rpms” category for your flavor of RHEL:

[andrew@big-red-wireless ~]$ sudo yum info libreoffice
[sudo] password for andrew:
Loaded plugins: langpacks, product-id, subscription-manager
Installed Packages
Name : libreoffice
Arch : x86_64
Epoch : 1
Version :
Release : 5.el7
Size : 0.0
Repo : installed
From repo : rhel-7-server-optional-rpms
Summary : Free Software Productivity Suite
URL : http://www.libreoffice.org/
License : (MPLv1.1 or LGPLv3+) and LGPLv3 and LGPLv2+ and BSD and (MPLv1.1
: or GPLv2 or LGPLv2 or Netscape) and Public Domain and ASL 2.0 and
: Artistic and MPLv2.0
Description : LibreOffice is an Open Source, community-developed, office
: productivity suite. It includes the key desktop applications, such
: as a word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, formula
: editor and drawing program, with a user interface and feature set
: similar to other office suites. Sophisticated and flexible,
: LibreOffice also works transparently with a variety of file
: formats, including Microsoft Office File Formats.

[andrew@big-red-wireless ~]$

Steam on RHEL 7.1


I found a writeup a while back when I was running CentOS 7.0 that I used, but found a few things that were not needed/wrong.  Here is the original article : http://linuxsysconfig.com/2014/07/how-to-install-steam-on-centos-7/


Now for what I did:


  1. Install the EPEL repo:
  2. Install this dependency:
    yum install http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/releases/19/Everything/i386/os/libtxc_dxtn-1.0.0-3.fc19.i686.rpm
  3. Create a new repo file (I called it /etc/yum.repos.d/steam_fedora19.repo) with this in it:
    name=Steam RPM packages (and dependencies) for Fedora
  4. Next we can install Steam:
    yum --enablerepo=steam_fedora19 install steam

Mumble on RHEL 7.1


I just dropped RHEL 7.1 onto my main workstation and had to relive and relearn how to install mumble onto it.  Here is what you need to do.

    1. Install nux-desktop repo.

    2. Determine which avahi packages you have[andrew@big-red-wireless ~]$ rpm -qa | grep avahi | sort
      [andrew@big-red-wireless ~]$As you can see from my example, I am dealing with .6.31-14

    3. Next go find a CentOS mirror and grab and install the appropriate avahi-compat-libdns_sd package:

      So what I used for my installation was the package:


      yum install /path/to/downloaded/file/avahi-compat-libdns_sd-0.6.31-14.el7.x86_64.rpm

    4. Now, you can finally install nux’s mumble package:yum install mumble

All done, there should be a GNOME 3 entry already.  Happy voice-chatting!

New site, less pain!


As the title states, I moved finally.  Got off Squarespace and am now self hosted.  Can save the money for something that really shouldn’t cost me anything beyond a VPS.  Over the coming weeks, I will have the template ironed out, but for now, what you are seeing is approximately what I want.

Now for the old content — most of it was crap anyhow, and is left over at Squarespace.  The good content was migrated into its own pages.  Even stuff that is antiquated, it got moved becuase it may come in handy.  My griping on this or that or lack of this or that can die a digital death, its worthless.  The antiquated pages are just there for archival purposes, and all comments are disabled.  Newer, and presumable more engaging topics, however will be allowed to be discussed.