Due to popular demand by many people that I know in person and online, I have setup a reference list for various linux topics. Over time things have greatly simplified as the distros and packages have improved, but overall this can be a useful resource for new and experienced linux users.
If anyone should care, I am running CentOS & Fedora on all day to day use machines and Ubuntu UNR on my eeePC. I use CentOS on a work laptop and Fedora on my other machines. The one exception is my iMac which still runs MacOS 10.6. When I can use linux to manage my iPhone, that will most likely go CentOS.
If you have any requests for packages, please email me. But do realize I am not necessarily going to jump on it unless I can pack it easily and maintain it with little effort. Generally speaking what is needed can be found in the rpmfusion repos.
GNOME 3 Tweaks
- Bring up the old Session Properties -- alt+f2 -> gnome-session-properties -> enter
- GNOME Shell Cheatshet -- http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet
- GNOME 3 Tweak Tool -- yum install gnome-tweak-tool
- GNOME Shell Themes -- http://half-left.deviantart.com/gallery/26559426
Asus Gxx Series Notebook Issues & Fixes:
- Bar Key Fix : xmodmap -e "keycode 94 = backslash bar"
- Cameras : http://www.gphoto.org/proj/libgphoto2/support.php
- Printers : http://www.linuxprinting.org/printer_list.cgi
- Scanners : http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl
- Sound Cards : http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
- Wireless Network Cards : http://linux-wless.passys.nl http://linuxwireless.org/ http://www.linuxwireless.co.uk Intel
- Video Cards : ATI nVIDIA VIA Intel
- Phoronix Linux Hardware News : http://www.phoronix.com/
- Vendorwatch : http://vendorwatch.org/index.php?title=Main_Page
- Full Circle Magazine (PDFs) : http://fullcirclemagazine.org/
- Fedora Weekly News : http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN
- Linux Journal : http://www.linuxjournal.com/
- Linux Installers for Linux Gamers : http://www.liflg.org/
- Fedora & RHEL : fedorapeople.org List Remi Collet
- Fedora : RPMfusion, Fedora 3rd Party Repository List, atrpms
- RHEL/CentOS/Scientific Linux : EPEL, ELRepo, RPMFusion, atrpms, EL Compatible Repo List @ Scientific Linux Forums
- Ubuntu Repository List : There is no central list, and to create one is a mess. Check launchpad for any ppa's for any software that is either not present in the standard repos that Canonical manages, or is out of date (like for Wine).
- OpenSUSE : http://en.opensuse.org/Package_repositories Plus, from within the Repository editor, you can add a Community Repo, which has many of the online ones from the link, and all of the Build Service repos.
- Google : http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/index.html
- Wine : http://www.winehq.org/download/ Not really a repo, although there may be some there, but the page has links to just about every mainstream distro on how to get Wine to work correctly.
CentOS Network Install Settings
Getting CentOS to do a network install always made me Google how the installer wanted to see the web location, as it was somewhat different than what I always fed it the first few times prior to giving up and resorting to a web search. Its so simple that I nearly cry each time:
For CentOS 5.5:
Web site name: mirror.centos.org
CentOS directory for i386: /centos/5.5/os/i386
CentOS directory for x86_64: /centos/5.5/os/x86_64
VirtualBox Fedora/RHEL Installation
Guest Additions installation:
yum install -y kernel-headers kernel-devel gcc
sh ./path_to_/VBoxLinuxAdditions-(your Architecture).run
You should see that all options (except perhaps the OpenGL ehnancements for Xorg) build/install just fine.
yum -y install akmod-Virtualbox-OSE VirtualBox-OSE
Any other sites that you, the loyal visitors, may have to recomend, or even sections -- email me.