Find me on Google+


KVM oopsie

For those that didn't know, KVM hangs bad when an NFS mount disappears.  I ran into an issue where  I forgot to delete an old NFS data share.  The current one was up, but I disabled the old node.  Well that went badly.  Eventually I figured out that other than fstab, I needed to remove the xml file and a symlink to it -- etc/libvirt/storage (the xml file) and /etc/libvirt/storage/autostart (symlink).




3com 3824 1Gb Managed Switch now in my possession

Got me a new piece of gear, a used (off ebay) 3com 3824 managed switch.  For my records and for yours, here are some reset instuctions for getting brand new setting setup if they weren't cleared prior to shipping off.


1) Get a null modem cable that has a DB9 on one end, and whatever suits you on the other.  I went with a DB9<->DB9 cable + null modem adapter + DB9<->USB.

2)Connect up cable to the serial console.

3)Install and fire up a terminal emulator of some sort.  For linux (RHEL, Fedora, openSUSE), grab minicom.  Configure it up to use 19200/8/N/1.  This should be printed on the front of the unit next to the serial port.

4)When you fire up, you should automatically be in the admin serial console screen at a lovely login.  Login with recover/recover as your login/password.  It will ask you to reset the unit to complete the password reset.  Do so by pulling the plug on it for a few moments and reconnecting it.  

5)Once its back up, you should have a reset prompt asking for the new password.  Your admin login will be admin/newpassword

6)To set the IP address info, enter the command 'protocol ip basicConfig'

7)Now we need to go and do a factory reset; enter 'system control initialize'


There you have it! 




Fixing gvfs automount permissions problems

The fix is to get the drives off of gvfs and into fstab.  For me it was a luxury that wasn't meant to be.  A half dozen USB disks of varying sizes all hooked up and mounted nicely.

Well to fstab it needed to be.  Here's how to do it nicely

1)Run "gnome-disks" and rename them if need be.  In my case I had several 500G Seagate and 1TB WD entries.  Make life easier on yourself if you haven't already.

2)Open up 2 terminals.  In one, run 'sudo gedit /etc/fstab' and in the other just 'sudo su -'

3)Use the second terminal to get the block ID information by running (need to be root) 'blkid /dev/drive'

4)Make your fstab look something similar (add), presuming the mountpoints you have figured out andyou are using ext4:


5) Unmount the drives if need be and issue a 'mount -a' command



Not dead yet!

Been a year since last update, and no I am not dead ... yet.


From what I have posted last, some work has been done, but not all.  Its been a bit hectic, and forcing me in a bit more of a relax rather than do more work mode.  Got most of the server stuff complete, sans the email migration.  Just havent had the time to get all the SSL stuff working yet.

Also have been relaxing with Star Trek Online and Neverwinter with a increasingly litte amount of Minecraft.  Not that MC isnt a blast (it is), but just too many new updates from the former two to stay off for TOO long.


Have a bunch of RHEL6 vids awaiting post production work.  When I have cleaned them up and do a final once over for accuracy and sanity in the approach, I will post them here and on YouTube.


A few updates

I have been very busy as of late, mostly at work.  That said, I have been working on a few projects of note.


First, I am in process of getting everything migrated over to a new server.  Yes, I am dumping GoDaddy and Squarespace for a self run Linode.

Pertaining to the first point, I have been working on getting Teamspeak and Minecraft working on there first, then the others.  In my escapades here I have run into a few issues I had to overcome, and with that comes the third point.

Third, and lastly, I am going to be doing a video series on running, adminning, and tricks to RHEL (and its clones) servers.  I will eventually get to desktop orientated tasks (GNOME 3 has a bundle of hidden gems).  The idea is to use the RHEL docs as a guide, and step thru the commands with commentary.  GNOME3 (and Cinnamon for that matter) have screencasting software built in, so this will be rather easy. 

My first few videos will be getting RHEL6.2 installed and prepped.  There are steps to locking down your setup that should be obvious, but from what I have been seeing around -- rarely implemented.  Another will be on creating custom daemons.  Another is on Red Hat's new SPICE protocol for VMs.  This is going to be a good one :D  If you haven't tried SPICE, you are missing on alot of power there.  Think warp drive for thin client, or remote VM shares.  I was blown away a few months back when I first tried it out.

Any other ideas are welcome, but for starting out, the first dozen or so are pretty much in stone, so don't fret if your idea isn't done immediately.  My time lately has been short, so I am limited to a few videos a week tops once I get the Linode done (first priority, I a pissing alot of cash away by not using it).